Not my friend Joy… I know where she is. Somewhere in the mess of life I have misplaced my inner joy due to outside situations. How much of it is in my control, I don’t know. What I do know is somethings gotta change.
For several days I have felt battered by life and joyless. My Oxford Pocket Dictionary and Thesaurus defines joyless as: sad, unhappy, miserable, depressed, downhearted, downcast, despondent, gloomy, disheartening, dreary, dismal. Oh yes… this about sums up my feelings lately in an eleven-word-nutshell.
I will try not to become mellow dramatic, however, on the Sea of Life there is a huge storm a brewin’ and I’m not seeing any end in sight. So what has thrown me into this pit of pity? I’ll throw out a few items that have been weighing heavy on my heart.
- World problems… this is serious stuff folks and could change our lives forever.
- Observing a government (ours) that thinks to blatantly lie and mislead for personal gain, showing a lack of morals is the norm… It’s disheartening that this is now readily accepted instead of challenged.
- Biased media who no longer reports/gives news but opinions.
Okay… the above is pretty heavy-duty stuff and enough to take anyone under. But there’s more. On the home front…
- Our phone service has been out AGAIN for three days. Finally got ahold of someone after an hour and a half on my cell phone this morning. The helpful(?) gal at the other end tried calling me and sure enough… couldn’t get through. They can get someone out here tomorrow between 8am and 6pm. The problem is across the street where now they have technicians working. In the mean time… no home phone service.
- We are trying to figure out a financial game plan that will allow for an all-inclusive working car for me without risking food or shelter. So far it’s not happening.
- This old laptop continues to do its Lazarus impression. Yep, it’s in the dream column of the budget also.
- I have some un-neighborly neighbors. Won’t go into details but if I could move tomorrow to a quiet, roomy country cabin in the woods… (preferably woods that aren’t on fire) I would.
- And there are the even more personal relationship problems that comes with some family. All of which I will continue to keep hidden inside the walls of my heart. Those are between Poppa and me.
We all have pressures in our lives… I know this. Usually denial works well for me. Not sure why it isn’t this time. But I do know I want my JOY back. My handy dictionary reminds me that I am missing… pleasure, delight, elation, bliss, gladness, happiness, enjoyment, gaiety.
What’s the best way to jump-start joy? …spending time with friends. So, stay by your phones, I may be calling you soon. Oh… wait… my phones aren’t working.
You’re safe for now, however…this too shall pass. . .
Until then I will rest in Nehemiah 8:10…
Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.