After several of us combed through our no longer needed treasures …honestly, mine was junk… we staged it all and opened for business. Cars rolled up the drive spilling bodies out to scan our wares.I pulled the Friday morning into all day shift… first day of the two-day sale. My job quickly turned into greeter number two. I was the human contact just after a tail wagging hello from Zoey, a most friendly black lab. And along the way that day I made some observations.
- Friday is Senior Day. 98% of the cars held gray-haired people who moved slowly. Mostly they came as couples, next was older men and then there were the two women who were basically a party on wheels. They laughed as they arrived and laughed as they left.
- Some came with an agenda, a special item they were looking for. Most did not. Items we thought would go fast didn’t. Those items we thought had no chance went fast. We obviously knew nothing.
- Buying for grandchildren brought out smiles and stories and thoughts of how they were going to be in trouble for buying the BIG doll-house for Suzy’s little room. We still encouraged the purchase.
- There were many who bought yarn for their charity work. Knitting and crocheting for babies in need. These ladies were gentle souls with enormous hearts.
- The fellas found joy and out-loud laughs in throwing a tennis ball for Zoey even though their throwing arm just isn’t what it used to be. Zoey didn’t care.
- Of course there were the few (thankfully VERY few) who were onerous and basically wanted us to give them whatever they wanted. We didn’t. Under that smile which greeted them is an extremely stubborn streak. (heh,heh,heh)
- For these older folks, garage sales are a social event. There was lots of banter, memories shared, neighbors met and those who would settle into the chairs we were selling for an even longer chat. One neighbor came by twice.
- And the number one joke of the day has been around the block, several times… “Hear you have a garage for sale.” Those words, delivered with a wink and a smile never get old.
- These lovely people made for some fun memories.